Monday, March 26, 2018

Week Ninety-Five



Dear everybody,

How are you? I hope you are well. I am sweaty and sunburned and tired, but doing okay. I hear the Jazz are fighting for the playoffs, cheer them on for me. Last week I totally forgot to tell you all that we had Elder Christensen visit our mission. He was so awesome to learn from and to listen to. I'll send the picture of us this week so you can see, he is a big dude, but very happy and funny. 

This week Elder Ravi and I were able to see many miracles in our work, but there is one in particular that I still think about each day. We were heading to our area to go finding by taking the local trains, the place we were headed is called Chembur, but we missed our stop and ended up in Dadar. I told Elder Ravi we had two choices, go back to where we originally planned to go, or trust that maybe there was a reason we ended up in Dadar. Of course there was a reason to be there, and so we chose to stay. We went walking and finally found a building nearby, walked to the very top and knocked on the first door. We start at the top so that if anyone yells at us (which they will) we can walk down and do more doors and they will think we are leaving, they won't let us walk up stairs to talk to more people if they yell at us. So the very first door opened and an old man, 70 years old, yelled at us and told us to leave if we were selling anything. To be honest I was a little fed up with people that day, so I said very boldly, no we are not, and this message is very important. He then responded, oh. So you're preachers, come in. The invitation was nice, but his tone wasn't. I was expecting the worst scolding I had ever received, which would be a tough challenge for him because I have received many in my time here. We sat down and I asked his name, he wouldn't tell me. He sat back in his chair and started to roll up a handmade cigarette, and then asked if we smoked. I said no, he said good. That's when I knew he wished he didn't smoke and there was an opportunity for repentance. He quizzed me of my knowledge of the bible, asking where did Jesus turn water into wine. I said Cana. (Easy answer I thought, give me something hard) But I guess I had won his respect and he finally allowed me to speak. I then taught the Restoration more boldly and powerfully than I ever have before, it may very well be my favorite lesson of all time. The Spirit was so strong and I said every word I was prompted to speak. At the end of the lesson he wouldn't even touch the Book of Mormon until he had washed his smoky hands. He then told us his life story, how he had been in depression for many years. He was born Hindu but knew much about Christianity. In his words, he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and lost it all away gambling and drinking. He was divorced and had nothing but a small apartment and his friends; luckily he still had a good relationship with his son. We taught him about repentance and God's plan, we taught him that he can be forgiven and that he is loved, and we gave him a blessing at his request. Finally as we were leaving he told us "my name is M.A.K." It’s his initials for some really long unpronounceable name. At that moment I had made a friend, and he had too. If nothing else came of meeting him, I could leave knowing that I gave him my all and that I was there for him when he needed me. It's an amazing feeling to be an instrument in the hand of the Lord. Mak has now read about 30 or 40 pages of the Book of Mormon, and enjoys it. And I enjoy watching people change. I love all of you, and hope there is something in this story that can lift you up.

Love,

Elder Armstrong 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment