Monday, May 22, 2017

Week Fifty-One



Sorry for the late email mom and dad! Today was crazy...seriously. We just woke up super early and traveled to this place in South Delhi where there are a lot of hills and trees. It was the highest elevation I have seen in a year, probably about a 200 foot hill. Ha-ha. In these hills were old abandoned Hindu Temples and buildings and statues of their Gods just out in the forest. It was so crazy and really kind of scary. People still live out there in the jungle. You cannot believe how foreign that place was to me even after a year in Delhi. I have never seen India like I just did. It was awesome and I cannot wait to get you pictures and videos sent home. 

Here in India, we American's are always completely fascinated with the way things work. This is the most foreign place in the world to America, literally nothing is the same. The saying the American's use in the mission is "Everything is the exact opposite" and down to every detail everything is seriously the opposite from America. And we love it. Some of the things we do to kind of just stay normal and have fun, we keep records. We keep track of the crazy and cool things that happen in India so that we can always be on the lookout for something awesome and bizarre. That includes how many bricks you see a construction worker carrying on his head (32). And my personal favorite, how many people can fit in a Gramin Sewa (18 plus a baby). So basically a Gramin Sewa is a miniature shelled out work van with benches inside. It's really small and it’s probably the size of a regular minivan from the 90's. These are a part of the public transportation in India and they run routes throughout our areas and missionaries always use them. They cost 10 rupees a piece and these drivers want every last rupee possible so they jam you in like a can of sardines. Trying to go to appointments in them is honestly like trying to catch the last helicopter out of Nam. I have never been so comfortable being sweaty and dirty, with sweaty, dirty people sitting on my lap, and me sitting on theirs. It's a great experience and so we love to see how crazy it can get here in Delhi. Those are just a few of the records we keep. What a place. 

This week was awesome and we made some great progress with our investigators. Priya and Pooja are still progressing towards baptism and things are looking up for Noida. This week we have transfers and the rumors are that I will be leaving, but we will wait until transfer calls until I set my mind on anything. I have loved Noida and don't really want to leave, and Elder Mani has been the best companion, such a big heart and such a fun guy. 

This week I read Article of Faith number 13 and I just love it. I challenge all of you to read it because to me it sums up what being a Mormon truly is. If you can change "We" to "I" and you truly do believe in doing those things and are doing them then you have nothing to worry about. That is what being a good person is all about, it's what Christ wants us to be. Being a Mormon is a wonderful thing, because we believe in being good and there is nothing better than the cause of good over evil. 

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things.  If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praise worthy, we seek after these things.

I believe those things, and I hope you all do too.  None of us are perfect, but if we strive to follow this and seek after those praiseworthy things, we’ll never go wrong.
I love you all,

Elder Armstrong



Meditation Rock


No comments:

Post a Comment