Monday, March 20, 2017

Week Forty-Two



Hello from Noida, the strangest place on Earth. 

This week we found rats in the apartment. They are big too, and I think we scared them out, but we are trying to secure the place like Katrina is coming. Yuck. It's hot here, and our swamp coolers and ceiling fans are going 24/7 to keep us cool. I get cold at about 65 degrees though...Idaho winter is going to kill me when I come back. What else? I explained where I live to the Indians and I explained Robin, it blew their minds. When they think of America or even Idaho they have the idea that it's all like New York City, but the fact that my school had 300 students and that Robin had practically 70 residents was crazy to them. Their "villages" have like 50,000 to 500,000 people in them. That's a village here. I wish I could show them the Google Maps version so they could see how open it is. Also when I told them we own cows and that I have worked on farms it was a big shock.  Farmers here are very poor and it’s a job that is looked down on, not much respect for farmers. Just a very big, different world. 

Church was good this week. We had about 26 people...but then subtract missionaries and branch presidency members and you only have 7 or 8 normal members. So the work continues on and we are getting some people to start making progress. If you can get an investigator to Sacrament Meeting you have a real chance of getting them to accept the gospel. The Spirit felt even in a small quirky Sacrament meeting is enough to help someone find the truth. We are working with members to be missionaries by introducing their friends and family to the gospel. I just love the members here. I will be honest, I have met a lot of really bad people in India, but it's amazing to see how big of a difference there is between Church members and regular people. When you have values and morals and a sense of humility and understanding of where you stand in the big picture, your actions are so different. You become more loving and patient to those around you, it's a wonderful thing. 

How is March Madness? I hope BYU wins ;) ha-ha maybe in a few years when they can win and actually get in the tournament. How about my Jazz? I keep hearing good things so I'm rooting for them. 

Yesterday I went to less active man's home. He is an older guy and his name is Romi Hukil. He has a pretty amazing story. He has been to the States, Australia, and Canada.  He was baptized in Canada and came back to the church here. His kids are lawyers and studying in America. He's a brilliant man and his wife Sheela is extremely kind. But they haven't been coming to church and Romi is smoking again. He gave it up to be baptized years ago, but he relapsed not long back and he is having a hard time quitting. He gets chest pain and he knows that he's hurting himself, but he can't stop. He calls himself a chain smoker and his wife is begging him to stop. It's a sad situation and if the only good I do while I'm in Noida is help Romi then that's what I'll do. He trusts missionaries and he loves to sit and talk with us, so if we have time we'll be at his home every other day to just sit and talk, and help him pass time while he tries quitting. We will share scriptures and help him do his best. It's just a reminder to me that the best of us have problems, and that no one is perfect. This life is a giant battle between the desires of the flesh and the desires of the spirit. We know that the Natural Man is an Enemy to God. And it's those natural desires that Satan uses to pull us down. Whether it’s the word of wisdom, or the law of chastity, lying or not paying tithing, our natural desires are not the desires of God. Part of this human life is do our best to not be human and to not choose the easy route that leads to temporary happiness. It's harder to choose the right, it's harder for Romi to not smoke. It's harder for all of us to give in to desires of the flesh, but it's not the right choice. We can choose the harder right. We can pray. We can read. We can exercise, we can do anything we choose. But it starts with a choice, and you make that choice. 

"If you're on the right path, it will always be uphill."  President Henry B. Eyring


Love you, be happy this week.

Elder Armstrong


No comments:

Post a Comment