Sunday, December 4, 2016

Week Twenty-Seven



Hey! How is Idaho? Have you watched Elf or Christmas Vacation? What about Christmas Story? If not all of the above 4 times each, shame on you.

I would love to tell you about Christmas in India but it doesn't exist. It's been a tough transition to change from everything...it's pretty much the opposite of everything I have ever known. And if any of you knew me before my mission I wasn’t a fan of changing my traditions. Here in India we have been trying to gather all of the Diwali lights and use them for Christmas lights, but it’s hard when they are all purple and orange. We are cutting progress records just to make snowflakes in the apartment, and we have listened to every Christmas song that is allowed, (and have been singing acapella all the ones that aren't). “Where Are You Christmas” by Faith Hill has been a favorite..and it fits;) because we are searching everywhere ha-ha. Then of course Silent Night and The First Noel are being played nonstop when we are at home and we got David Archuletta approved so we listen to his stuff. 

We are promoting the Christmas Initiative the Church is doing called Light the World. It's hard because first we have to tell them what Christmas is and usually they aren't even interested. But the video is great.  I hope all of you have watched it or shared it with a friend. We have been doing the 25 ways in 25 days program and it is great. It definitely brings the Spirit of Christmas into our lives. I know if we truly try our hardest to Light the World this Christmas Season we can change someone’s life. 

Today I know my letter may sound sad or like I am upset with my circumstances here in India and sometimes to be honest I am. It is so hard being here some weeks. No toilet paper and everything is dirty and the pollution is tangible. We have no Christmas, no turkey or ham or my mom’s brownies or Christmas crack. We have no egg nog. Seriously, there is no egg nog. That's just asking to be sad and not drink a Heavenly Christmas treat. On top of all of that my Dallas Cowboys are 11 and 1 and are going to the playoffs and the Jazz are playing and my little brother is balling it up for the best high school in the State both on the field and the court. I want to be there for all of that. My dad is getting his back surgery and my mom is my mommy and I miss her. So yes, sometimes I want to be home. And sometimes my mission is hard.

So where is the silver lining in all of this? It's in the lives that I have seen change since I have been on my mission. It’s the fact that I have family back home that are supporting me and loving me through all my efforts and doing their best to live the gospel and help me keep going. After a hard week this week I came to the cyber receiving very helpful letters from friends and family. But the thing that changed my "bah hum bug, Ebenezer scrooge heart" this week was in Fast and Testimony meeting yesterday. My 9 year old friend, Surya, who I have told you a little about before, stood on a small chair behind the pulpit to bear his testimony. He was really nervous and he had his "future missionary tag" on the front pocket of his shirt. He quickly said" I know this church is true and I want to share a scripture with you" then he paused for what I thought was 5 minutes while he fought off his tears and then he said "For where your Treasure is there will your Heart be also." My favorite scripture, Matthew 6:21. 

What I forgot is that months ago I shared that scripture with him and his family and told them about my homesick experience in the MTC and how I realized my treasure was my mission and that that is where my heart needs to be. Well Surya never forgot that. And that makes all the difference, because he helped teach me something that I needed to hear 5 months later. My treasure was quickly becoming the things of home and not the people here in India. But I promise that if we focus on what is most important and never give up what we want the most, for what we want at the moment, we will be so much happier. 

In the eternal perspective, my 11 and 1 Cowboys are only a little less on the important scale of serving a full time mission;)

I love you all, have a great week and start drinking some egg nog for me. But don't let the presents under the tree become more important than those around you. Because for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Elder Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment