Monday, November 14, 2016

Week Twenty-Four



Namaste,

It's me again from Dwarka, the place where half of my branch works at call centers for customer support for people in America. So if you're ever calling Expedia, iPhone, or Nike customer support ask them if they know an Elder Armstrong. The chances are they'll say no because there are 7 trillion people in India with the same job, but you might get lucky;) This week was a crazy one, full of more sickness, lots of it. Also there was so much Black Money here in India they pulled a surprise on everyone and all of a sudden one day just said the 1000 and 500 rupee bills don't work anymore. They just cancelled them. So everyone in the whole country is trying to get new money and the new bills they printed out..but there's a shortage, and you have to stand in line for like 6 hours. And the money literally looks like monopoly money. So we are broke and sick, it's a really great combination.

We had a visit from Elder David F. Evans this week and that was pretty cool. He is the second counselor in the Asia Area Presidency and gave us some really good trainings and I learned a lot. He was here for the mission tour and also for our District Conference. District Conference is just like Stake Conference, except totally different. Here in India, we wake up super early and get our branch on a very old grey hound tourist bus that I would have bet my last useful rupee that it was going to blow up. We barely made it to the conference and all the branches in the Delhi area met together in an auditorium that was about 1/4 the size of MV's. It was really spiritual and uplifting, it was good to meet the other Saints here in the Delhi District, soon to be Stake. Elder Evans was great and it was cool to learn from both my amazing mission President and a General Authority.

Now on to my Boys in that Silver Helmet. Go Dallas, America's Team. I am so happy, even in India not able to watch their games...I still feel my love for my team, same with the Jazz. You guys better throw a big party for me when they go to the playoffs.

I think the thing I'm missing most right now though is just the feeling of home. I miss that home for the holidays feeling. I miss the fall weather in Idaho, and the snow, oh the snow. I can feel Christmas and Thanksgiving coming up, and there will be no turkey, there will be no football, no snow or hot chocolate. And that's okay, I understand the full reason why I am here, but I miss my valley. I'll miss neighbors plowing driveways for each other, grandma's stuffing, home teachers coming in clutch with cookies and treats, and buying gifts for family members. But as this time of year comes around and I don't get to be there, I hope to encourage you to do the best you can to keep in mind the Reason for the Season and remember the Savior in your lives. The Holiday Spirit is so much greater when you keep Him in mind. And to keep Him in mind more often we need to have a greater relationship with Him. 

I once heard this simple story about judgment day, and whether you have heard it or not, it's never too late to relearn an important principle. I may have even shared this already I don't know. But it starts with a man walking in to the judgment room and there is a man who asks him what he knows about the Savior. He replies, He was born in Bethlehem, He is the Son of God, He saved us from our Sins, He loves us, He was crucified, He had 12 disciples, and He even visited the America's and Joseph Smith. And then the man asked him "is that all?" And he said yes and was then directed through a door out of the room. The next man came in the room and immediately fell to his knees and cried out "My Lord, My God!" 

The first man knew about the Savior, But the second man “knew” the Savior. Which relationship are we willing to settle for? The Christmas season is just around the corner, get to know the Savior, personally. Your holidays will be happier and less stressful, and the food may even taste better. I honestly want nothing more than the best for all of you and I know from the bottom of my heart the Savior is standing there with open arms..but we must first Seek Him. 

I'm sorry I don't say much about investigators or experiences here in India that will change next week. Kavita will finally be baptized next week and I get to do that, along with naming and blessing her daughter Diviyanshi when she is confirmed the following week. I love that family and they have changed my entire view of the gospel.

Til next week, Go Cowboys, Go Jazz. #PlayoffBound

Love a Sick Elder Armstrong





Mission Conference with Elder Evans of the Seventy

No comments:

Post a Comment