Monday, October 3, 2016

Week Eighteen



Hello FAMILLYYY,

This week was rough. I realized that when I signed up there would be two years of being rejected and being told no to every invitation, and almost every lesson, there would be a lot of disappointment, and a lot of doubt, but I'm still loving my mission and I know where my testimony stands. We had members and investigators cancel on us all week, and we had so many invitations where people gave us wrong phone numbers, told us no, or tried getting us to come to their home so they could teach us why Hinduism is the correct religion. I mean I guess that last one was fair; I'm asking to do the same to them. But it was tough and I thought some of those days would never end. 

The bright part of my week was that my birthday was super awesome. I had such a good day. I received 12 birthday cards this week from family and I get my usual letter from Grandma as well. Those were so nice and I thank all of you little cousins who sent me a letter, it made my day. I miss you all and love you. My birthday started off with a dog pile of Elders on me in my bed waking me up and singing happy birthday to me. And then we did the usual, workout, studies, and lunch and proselyting. It was really good and the day started off really well. We met with some less actives and had some really spiritual lessons that helped me build such a stronger love for the people here. These people are definitely my family and it will be tough when I eventually have to leave Dwarka 

Then my day turned from good to great. We ended the night by teaching Kavita and having dinner at their home. They knew it was my birthday and I knew they were going to feed us but I never expected or wanted what they did for me. This family I have grown particularly close to and have been able to help them so much. Manisha is our Relief Society President and she is only 23 years old. We do our best to help her in her stressful calling and support her less active family, all while teaching her sister in law Kavita. So we see them often, and Manisha is definitely one of the strongest members in our church. Her testimony is solid and she is golden at giving referrals. So we went to their home to teach them and have dinner. While we had just sat down all of a sudden the lights turned off and from the kitchen Manisha came out with a big Chocolate birthday cake that cost probably about 5 or 6 U.S. dollars, but for people here that is a pretty big sacrifice to make. It meant so much and as I was trying to blow out the candles, I realized she had paid extra for the magic candles that relight themselves, so everyone had a good laugh as it took me 15 minutes to blow out my birthday candles. Then in India tradition I make the first cut and then everyone takes a turn feeding me a small piece of cake and smashing it into my face. It was great. Then we taught a small lesson to Kavita on the commandments and her English. Then came dinner. And it was amazing..like almost all the food. And then before we left we were taking some pictures and I received the best gift from Manisha. She had handmade a big giant birthday card for me and made it all sparkly and glittery and it was awesome. It meant so much because she had taken her own time and made a birthday card just for me. It meant even more after all the hard work we had been putting into helping this family, and it just made me appreciate how lucky I am and how blessed I have been. But the night didn't end there. When I got home I received another gift from Elder Huskey, and the other Elders in the mission I have grown close to. They all pitched in together and bought me a nice Timex watch. They knew mine had broken a couple days before and they made sure I got a nice one that would last my whole mission. It was a great birthday and I am so blessed to have such great people all around me, everywhere I go.  

So don't you ever worry about me here in India, I'm absolutely in love with this place. I never get bored, and I never get tired of the work, no matter how many people tell me I'm wrong. I have an amazing second family here in India, and the Elders here are like brothers to me. But if I had one wish, it would be for all of you to be here with me, seeing what I am seeing. You just cannot imagine, pictures don't do it justice ha-ha. Maybe if I'm rich someday I'll bring you all back when there is a temple. 

This week I learned a lot and I wasn't exactly sure what to send back to you and what message to share. So today I just want to let you know how much my testimony has grown. I know that this Church is true, and that the work I am doing is without a doubt, the Work of the Lord. He is in charge and he Lives and knows His sheep. I know that what I am doing is very important, and no matter how many people here tell me on the streets I'm wrong and no matter how crazy it sounds to leave my family for two years to come to India and tell people about Jesus Christ and His true teachings when the entire country is against you. And then to pay for it all by ourselves, without a sponsor or a paycheck for working outside in the heat all day, getting pimples and sunburns. I know that I am becoming a better person for what I'm going through and what I have chosen to do. I know that my boys serving around the world are doing the same work as me and that together everyone in this church is important. I know The Church is bigger than Utah and Idaho, and it's definitely bigger than America, it's Worldwide. I've been in homes that don't even look like homes. But the people in that home are living the commandments, and following the Prophet. I didn't even know the church was in India until the night I opened my call. But it's here, and I will forever respect the Faith of these people.

And I want you to know...that I was sent here for a reason. And that The Savior Himself, sent me here. A year ago I felt as if I was needed right away, and so I didn't wrestle my senior year, I didn't want to take a chance on serving later than I knew I was supposed to. I set my availability date for June 1st, and I was in the MTC on June 1st. I could have served three or more months in the states waiting for a visa that is almost impossible to get, but I was sent here right away on a two year visa, the first American to get one in almost 6 years. None of that happens by chance, I'm not lucky, I'm needed here. Or at least I needed to be here. I will cry like a baby when I have to leave..so it's a good thing I have 20 more months to give it all I have. 

I love you all..please Follow the Savior. He has given me so much more than I will ever deserve. And He will do the same for you. 

Go Eagles. Go Cowboys. Go Cougs. And soon to be Go Jazz. 

Until next week

Your Elder,

Elder Armstrong

***Editor's Note:  Preston wanted to let you know that he won't get to watch General Conference until this Saturday and Sunday.  They translate it into Hindi before they watch it with the members.  He also says that his Hindi is coming along well.

No comments:

Post a Comment