Monday, August 22, 2016

Week Twelve




Dear family..

Today I want to share a story with you about trials:)

Two years ago this week I went through the biggest trial of my life, I ruined my elbow and could no longer play football or wrestle the same. Yes, I know. I talk about this a lot. But none of you, except the Savior himself, and my parents, will ever know how deep the pain truly was. It wasn't elbow deep. It hit me right dead center in the heart, and everything I cared for seemed to be falling apart. I never realized at the time that this is what was leading me towards serving a mission, but it was. I now am in India, and the thought of being in India 7500 miles away preaching the gospel would have never been in my mind two years ago on that awful day, when I couldn't even push myself up off the ground. I was full of anger, as most of us are when something bad happens to us, because I was unable to see what Christ had in store for me..when I thought he was ruining my life.. he was truly giving me a chance to save it. Now I look back on those days with great love for the Savior, he saved me from falling away and choosing the wrong path. 

I was thinking about all of this while walking home one night this week. It was dark and dirty, and we had just left a less active family who fed us an amazing dinner. And the end of the lesson they shared their love for us missionaries in the best English they could pull together, and they said "please come anytime, this is your home". On the way home I couldn't help but smile. No one gets the opportunity I am getting. Very few missionaries have a mission like this one..and I love every second of it. The Savior gave me exactly the trial I needed to correct my course, and then for following Him..He has rewarded me with more joy than I ever thought would be heading my way. So on the long walk back home I hummed a few hymns in the noise of the city and thought of all the good memories in my extremely blessed life. And I realized the Savior gives us trials to help us learn and grow, it's apart of life. 

In 2 Nephi 2:2 Lehi tells his son that God will consecrate his afflictions for his gain, if we allow the Savior to help us in our trials and we aren't angry towards Him, He will make us stronger and better by allowing use to use His Endless Atonement.

These thoughts all came to me in just the right timing...when i was writing in my journal I got a phone call I had been waiting for the entire day. It was from Vishesh, my great friend and investigator. He had been with his family and was asking if he could be baptized that day. We were praying for him, the district was praying for him, and he was praying and exercising his faith stronger than ever. We all believed he was going to get a positive answer. So I was extremely excited to receive his phone call and hear the good news. But my heart completely sunk as he said hello and was in tears.. His parents not only told him no, but he was kicked out of their house and was sent back to Delhi where he has been living while he goes to school. His mom also slapped him. He was horribly upset, and I couldn't keep the tears back..it was so sad to hear him cry over the phone and tell me that he was sorry he could not be a Mormon. 

The next day we met with him and just tried to be his friend and then we came back the next day and shared a message about having the name of Christ written on his heart. We shared with him that although he is going through a great struggle, the Savior loves him and will turn his struggles into happiness he can't imagine yet. He can still take the lessons and come to church and keep the commandments and feel the blessings, he just won't be baptized until the right timing. He seemed to respond well and after a Priesthood blessing of comfort he was determined to follow the Savior and set the example for his family. 

I love him and the people I am teaching here, we have a few people on date for baptism in the next couple of weeks and I really hope it goes as planned. This place has changed my entire life, and it all started with a bobbled snap, a scramble from the defense, and a nasty awkward landing on the football field. I couldn't lift myself up when I was down, and sometimes many of us can't. But His Redeeming Atonement and Love and Grace are always there to lift us higher than we ever thought we could go. We all have trials, its apart of life. It's apart of learning and growing and becoming like the Savior, who went through the hardest trial of all, to save us from ours. Maybe in the past we didn't get what we want, but if you notice now we are receiving many blessings from the Lord for our patience and faithfulness. He has given to us, now give back to Him. Follow Him. Use His Atonement. He will lift you higher than you thought possible...and it's a great view from up there;)

I love you all.  I love my family and friends and I love Marsh Valley.  Beat Malad this week dad.   When I wake up on Saturday morning, the first thing I will do is pray for you under those Friday night lights.  So at kickoff, know that there is a prayer being said especially for you and our team. 

Fight, fight, fight team fight.....Go Eagles Baby!!!!!!

Love Elder Armstrong

My favorite Mo Mo's



Rahkshabandhan Day in India

No comments:

Post a Comment