Sunday, July 31, 2016

Week Nine


Dear family and friends,

The weeks are rolling by. Two months down today and I'm now done with my first transfer. The time is going by so much faster than I ever thought and it's because I am so busy. We are always on the go. It's such a good thing though because I can stay busy and keep my mind on the work.  It’s hard not to think about football though.  I'm having withdrawals from not holding a football. I used to sleep with one every night and now I haven't seen a football in months, let alone played some catch. That's hard. 

With football I'll share with you how the Lord tested my patience this week. I saw a guy here in India with a Dallas Cowboys Rugby T-Shirt on, it was Red and Black and had the Green Bay Packers players on the front and then it said American Federation of Football 1789. There is so much wrongness on that t-shirt that I almost cried. I miss Sports Center and I need some people who know what real American Football is. 

But this week was a harder week. I now know what it feels like to lose investigators and to have people cancel appointments every single day. Shiv stopped meeting with us and blocked our phone number, I guess the incident with the crazy guy last week was too much for him and it might have been for his best interest to stop meeting with us. Still he's a great guy and I know he'll have another chance to accept the gospel in a better time. The rest of our investigators are all busy during the week and can never meet with us. It's hard because the week is slow and the weekend is crazy full with people who want to meet. The biggest struggle in Dwarka right now is the less active members. The branch would be double the size it is now if everyone came too church, but people either have to work or don't want to come. It's sad because the Sabbath day is such an important day where we can find the strength to endure another week in this crazy life.
So we have been working with a lot of less active members trying to rekindle that fire they once had. The other problem we have is everyone feeds us. Everyone! They feel like they have to feed us because we are Americans and we are guests in their homes. They say that it's "their honor and duty." Sometimes the food is amazing and really good and other times it's pretty bad. The flies here are something else too. But when we eat at one house 20 minutes later we are at another eating and we try to turn them down, but they are so persistent. Good thing I'm going to the gym. I actually want to bulk up while I'm out and am trying to gain some more muscle, but that's another story.

Last night we were at Bobby's house and he wasn't there at first, but then he showed up later with a bandage on his face. The whole family said that he and his dad were "playing around and he got a cut and that his face is now swollen" but I knew in my heart and still do that his dad hit him. I feel awful for the situation he is in everyday. He is still working nonstop to provide for the family and he goes home and his dad hits him, all while he tries to go to school and meet with us to prepare for his mission. The faith that this kid has is awesome. He's definitely a lifelong friend. I'm hoping to find a way we can help their family resolve the problems that they have, when I found this out I shared with them the scripture Mosiah 18:21. It hopefully can help them become closer as a family and be knit together having love one towards another.

The spiritual message I have been pondering on sharing with you and have felt inspired to share is this. I hope it can help just one person. 

Heavenly Father knows you. He loves you and he wants you back home. I have witnessed this over and over again here in India. There are 1.2 billion people here in India. Everywhere I go I see thousands and thousands. The place is crowded, some are rich, others poor, and many absolutely homeless. But every single one of them, good or bad, is a child of God. And so are all of you. How? I can't tell you, but I know it's true. I've felt it in my heart and every time I testify of this message to my investigators and friends here in India I feel that love that the Savior has for them. It is an unreal feeling and I am so blessed to be able to share such wonderful news with these people. In a world where everyone seems to be lost and they are trying to find their way, the refuge and comfort that comes from being a Child of God is needed. Everyone needs that peace and that hope that there is something better ahead, and that without a doubt no matter how hard life gets, that someone loves them. That someone is our perfect Brother, Jesus Christ. He will never fail. There is a reason he is called Wonderful. There is a reason he is called Redeemer. Find out that reason for yourself through prayer. Ask to feel His love and then ask for the help to know that you're a Child of God. It's our most simple primary song, and it's our most simple truth. Never forget who you are, never forget your purpose, and be a good person. 

The mind cannot comprehend the things that the soul can feel. Everyone is someone special to our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ.

Now I'm off to do some tourist stuff and go to India gate and eat nasty street food. Party! Google India Gate it should be pretty cool today.

Love you all. 

Elder Neil Armstrong

My best friends in India: Ramu, Abishek, Surya, and Sowmya
 At the gym
 Monsoon Season
Daily Smog
Water Buffalo Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment