Sunday, June 5, 2016

1st Letter from MTC

Before entering the MTC: 
Visiting the new Provo City Center Temple



Yesterday was terrible...  I hate saying goodbye to my boys, and there are no words to describe the way I felt....

Needless to say, Leslie, Parker, and Price had some laughs at my expense.

We did have a good experience at the Temple before we dropped him off.

While walking around the Temple grounds we were approached by a senior couple who wanted to talk.

The first words out of their mouths were you can always pick out the young missionaries before they enter the MTC.

I guess we looked the part. Excited Elder, Anxious Mother, Bored Brothers, and Crying Dad.

They asked where Preston was going to be serving, and after telling them New Delhi, India, they were shocked, as they had just gotten back to Provo from California from their nephews farewell.  Their nephews name was Elder Stephens, and he is going to New Delhi.

Coincidence, or the Lord meticulously planning a chance encounter on the Temple grounds to bring a sense of calm to a 49 year old father who is scared to death about sending his son into the world.  I have came to understand that nothing happens out of chance.

It was calming to have a few minutes to visit before saying our goodbyes, and to have another family share in the unknown.

Pulling into the MTC and kicking him out on the curb is always hard, but I know that he is as ready to serve as any young man could be, and he is excited for the next stage of his life.

Tonight we received the attached short email, which leaves more questions than answers, but it confirms some of the other things I have read about travel in and out of India for Missionaries.

Obviously most of it is speculation, and we will look forward to hearing more on Tuesday.

For right now, we will forward his emails, but he wants us to create a blog spot and post his stuff...  (yipee more social media)

Thanks for all your support as Preston has Prepared to Serve.

Doug

From: Preston John Armstrong <preston.armstrong@myldsmail.net>
Date: Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: 1st letter
To: Doug Armstrong <douga2219@gmail.com>


Dear Dad and family. I only have a few moments to email you and then my P day will be Tuesday. So please hold on until then for more! I am so happy here at the MTC! This place is so awesome, the only bad experience I have had is my host who first showed me around was a complete downer! He hated the MTC so my first five minutes was trying to be positive while he told me how bad it was. Must have been having a rough day. To be honest with you I don't see a rough day in sight, my companion, Elder Stephens, is awesome! I live with five other Elders, three of us going to New Delhi and the other three going to Tallahassee Florida. We all have different interests but we get along so well and I can feel the spirit 24/7.

I don't know about visas or flights yet but the rumor among us three going to New Delhi and the eight missionaries going to the Bangalore mission is that we will be delayed a transfer which is six weeks in the U.S. Most likely somewhere hot too get used to the weather. And then we would go to India and after a year it sounds like our visas will expire for India and they may send us to the Philippines Who  knows what will happen, but I'm excited that I may be able to serve in three different countries. I know there are people waiting for me wherever the Lord sends me.

The food is good but I won't gain weight because I workout with my Companions. 
I enjoy being busy in the work. I miss everyone so much, family and friends you guys mean everything to me and I like to brag about you all.

I love you guys! I love the Savior. And I love my mission!

Stay Happy.

Love, Elder Armstrong.


1 comment:

  1. I am so anxious and excited to follow Preston on his journey!! I'm ready for a thrill ride!
    Get ready. Get set. GO GO GO !!!

    ReplyDelete